perfect mediterrenean hummus
today's post is a quick and easy one - just like this recipe for our perfect hummus.
there are certain things that you absolutely must have in the fridge at all times, one of those is hummus. it is for us, at least. but we're sure once you've tried the recipe it will be for you, too. hummus is just such a lifesaver, it can take anything to the next level - whether that be a sandwich, a carrot stick or a rainbow bowl.
we love hummus so much that we try to get our hands on a pot no matter where we are - our favourite vegan restaurant in munich does a mean hummus for starters that's already vanished as soon as the waiter turns around - we spent a whole summer in the cotswolds basically living off marks & spencers chunky mediterrenean hummus - but our favourite is and will always be, no doubt, kerstin's homemade hummus. she slightly tweaks the recipe every time, adding spices and ingredients as she goes, but the outcome is always ALWAYS delicious.
this hummus has become such a firm favourite with family and friends alike, and an absolute staple for any dinner or garden party. we couldn't picture a day without it anyway. this recipe is for a small batch - but you'll want to make double. at least.
- 1 tin of high quality chickpeas (220g)
- a little bit of the chickpea water (don't drain the tin completely!)
- 4 heaping tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame oil
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tbsp mixed nut butter
- 2 tbsp miso paste (or substitute salt)
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- in a pan on low heat, roast the coriander seeds until fragant. then grind them in a mortar
- drain the chickpeas, but leave a little rest of the water
- pop all ingredients into the food processor and mix until you have your desired consistency. we love it a little on the chunky side but silky smooth is also great.
- fill into a big jar and store in the fridge
to serve, pop the hummus in a pretty bowl, add a swirl of good olive oil (optional, but HIGHLY recommended) and a sprinkling of our nutty, crunchy, delicious dukkah.