carrot cake with mascarpone frosting
this week we want to share our favourite carrot cake recipe with you. it's been tried and tested on many occasions and it's always a huge hit with everyone, so we're sure you'll love it, too.
it's been so cold and autumn-y in munich recently and this cake is just the perfect treat on a rainy afternoon.. or really any afternoon. it's moist, packed with carrots (nutrition, yay!) and so flavourful from all the spices that go into it. the best part, though, is probably the thick layer of mascarpone frosting smothered on top. for the finishing touch we added a sprinkling of caramelised walnuts.
the cake itself is egg- and dairy-free, so if you omit the frosting (would be a shame, though!) you have yourself a vegan treat! you can leave it plain or just substitute the mascarpone and cream cheese with vegan alternatives. it tastes great either way!
so, please, next time you have a little extra time on your hands, make this cake, invite a bunch of friends over and pour some tea - voila, best autumn day ever!
for one cake (in a 9-inch baking pan) and a whole lot of frosting, you'll need:
- 200g vegan butter (we used alsan)
- 200g caster sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cafe d'arabe or ras el hanout
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 100ml almond milk
- 100g semolina (the really fine kind)
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 250g grated carrots
- 250g mascarpone
- 200g cream cheese
- 75g icing sugar
- orange zest
- large handful of walnuts + extra sugar
- preheat oven to 180C
- in a large bowl, mix butter, sugar, spices, vanilla, salt and lemon zest
- add almond milk and mix until fluffy
- in a small bowl, mix the flour, ground almonds, semolina and baking powder together
- add into the rest of the mixture and mix well
- gently fold in the grated carrots
- grease your baking tray and line the bottom with parchment paper, evenly spread the batter onto it and bake for 35-40 minutes
- while the cake is in the oven, coarsely chop the walnuts and heat a pan on medium high heat
- add the nuts into the pan and gently toast them while stirring at all times
- once they start smelling fragrant, sprinkle over a tbsp of sugar - keep on stirring until all nuts are coated and the sugar is dissolved
- at this point, quickly transfer them onto a baking sheet to cool
- using a hand mixer, whisk mascarpone, cream cheese, icing sugar and orange zest - frosting done!
once you take out the cake, leave it in the pan until cooled completely. you can then transfer it onto a cake stand or platter and add the frosting. sprinkle the caramelised walnuts on top and your carrot cake is ready to be served!
- K & L