you guys! a special day is coming up - the 28th of february is the official pancake day!
yes, it exists. we know, there's an official day for just about every cool new food - welcome to the 21st century. but PANCAKE DAY, now that is something to be celebrated. you see, we've always loved pancakes, they're a childhood favourite, a real comfort food, something you can whip up from scratch in five minutes whenever you're feeling a little, well, pancake-y. in germany, pancakes traditionally are more like crêpes - thin and large. when we were little we used to coat them in jam or cinnamon sugar, roll them up and eat them for dinner. (good times). when we moved to england we got to know the small, fluffy kind and they quickly became a breakfast staple - always with a dash of maple syrup, of course. the awesome thing about pancakes is that you can have them for every meal of the day and it's still somehow acceptable. or is that just our family?
so when alpro and kptn cook approached us and asked if we wanted to create a recipe for the special occasion, we didn't think too long until we hopped on board. (get it?). having worked with alpro back in january, you probably know by now that we love using their products - it's just so great to have sustainable plant-based alternatives.
we thought long and hard about what kind of pancake recipe we wanted to create (think apple fritters, ricotta, berry compote) but finally decided to go savoury because it's not something we have every day and pancake day's a special occasion, after all.
we transformed our go-to breakfast recipe, threw in a handful of chopped herbs and stacked them up with avocado crema to become this beautiful delicious mess that you absolutely must try this weekend - it's the perfect brunch food. we love avocado, so using that in our recipe was a no-brainer. we also added an abundance of fresh wild herbs from the farmers market that just take this pancake stack to the next level.
you'll find the recipe on the kptn cook app, too, which is wonderful because it means you can make these anytime and anywhere, so no excuses. and if you want to celebrate pancake day with us, you're welcome to tag your posts on instagram with #MyPancakeDay so we can see your beautiful creations!
recipe for 2-3 people, depending on how hungry you are:
1 cup plain flour
1 cup Alpro Sojadrink Original
2 tbsp sunflower oil
a hand full of chopped herbs (optional, we used basil and purslane)
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt
2. add Alpro Sojadrink, herbs and sunflower oil and mix until incorporated (don't overmix - little lumps are your friend!)
3. in a coated pan on medium heat, scoop the batter onto the griddle using about a 1/4 cup for each pancake. flip as soon as you can see little bubbles on the surface and bake for another minute. set aside on a plate while you continue with the rest of the batter
4. if you're making these slightly ahead of time, you may want to keep them warm in the oven
1 1/2 ripe avocados
2 tbsp Alpro Soja-Jogurtalternative Ungesüßt
1 tsp gomasio (japanese spice mix made of roasted sesame und sea salt)
a pinch of chili flakes
a squeeze of fresh lime juice
mizuna leave, baby kale, purslane, rocket, chervil or simply a mix of your favourite herbs
roasted poppy seeds
5. peel the avocado, remove the core and mash with a fork in a small bowl
6. add in all the other ingredients and mix until smooth
7. assemble: start with a pancake, top with a dollop of avocado crema and herbs, then add another pancake and repeat as many time as you like. to finish it off, add a sprinkling of poppy seeds and gomasio
8. enjoy right away!
xx k & l
this post is kindly sponsored by alpro and kptn cook for their #MyPancakeDay campaign.